duminică, 29 noiembrie 2009

Install grub from liveCD from scratch

Scenario: I just installed Slackware, it gave an error during the LILO install, and I wantet grub anyway. So what to do?

I put in an Ubuntu liveCD (the only one I had around), and then run the following commands (assuming sda2 is where the install is):

sudo -s
apt-get install grub
mkdir /mnt/sda2
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
mkdir /mnt/sda2/boot/grub
cp /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/* /mnt/sda2/boot/grub
grub
> find /boot/grub/stage1
> root (hd0,1)
> setup (hd0)
>quit
gedit /mnt/sda2/boot/grub/menu.lst


And you then have to create the menu.lst. I made a quick and basic one for now, here's what it looks like:

default 0
fallback 1

title Slackware
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2

title Windows
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Good luck :P

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu